You've worked hard to build your company, and that's why you need one of the best security camera systems for small business to protect what you've built.
After putting in countless 16-hour-plus days building your business from the ground up, some lazy jackwagon thinks that they can come in and steal the fruits of your labor.
The sad truth is:
If you don't have one of the best security camera systems for small business working to protect your property, then that lowlife is probably right.
In that case, it's time to make your business jackwagon-proof.
Reasons For Buying The Best Security Camera Systems For Small Business
image source: Pexels
If you own a small business located in a quiet rural or relatively safe area, it's easy to rationalize not investing in one of the best security camera systems for small business.
After all, what's the worst that can happen, right?
Well, here's a list of benefits of investing in one of the best security camera systems for small business:
As for insurance rates:
Unfortunately, too many business owners try to cut corners by using fake or dummy cameras.
This practice makes it difficult for insurance companies to confirm the use of real equipment and continued service agreements with security monitoring firms.
For that reason, most insurance companies don't factor security cameras into the cost of their premiums.
Things To Look For In The Best Security Camera Systems For Small Business
There are a variety of things to look for when researching the best security camera systems for small business.
Since there are nearly a countless number of camera systems to choose from, understanding camera types and features will help you find the best for your business.
Mainly, there are two types of security camera systems: wired and wireless.
Wired CCTV Camera Systems
The most popular wired closed-circuit TV systems (CCTV) for businesses come in two varieties: PoE (power over ethernet) and hard-wired analog cameras.
Both types of wired CCTV cameras require wires for video transmission and power supply.
Wired PoE IP security cameras usually use Cat 5 or Cat 6 ethernet wires to communicate with your home network video recorder (NVR) or router.
In other words, you can use an ethernet cable to connect either your router or NVR for both power and data transmission.
Analog hard-wired security cameras require two cables, one for power and one coaxial cable to connect to the DVR for transmission.
Wired PoE cameras also offer much better clarity than analog-hard wired cameras, which makes them the superior choice in terms of quality.
Here are some pros and cons of a wired CCTV camera system.
Wireless (Wi-Fi) Camera Systems
Wireless Wi-Fi camera systems typically come in two varieties: battery and solar powered or traditional wireless cameras.
All of these cameras transmit data via a wireless signal.
Here's the difference:
With battery and solar powered cameras, your power source is either an internal battery or the sun making them completely wire-free.
However, a traditional wireless camera requires a wired power source.
Just as with wired cameras, wireless security cameras have their benefits and drawbacks when it comes to choosing the best security camera systems for small business.
For most entrepreneurs, price plays a significant role when it comes to making substantial investments, especially when it comes to buying one of the best security systems for small business.
The cost of a system can fluctuate due to several factors, such as:
One big concern for any system is storage. Most businesses use on-site storage that is usually located in a secure location like a safe or office.
Most wired systems use either a digital video recorder (DVR) or network video recorder (NVR) system.
An NVR system utilizes an RJ45 network connection to connect to the cameras, while DVR systems use a coax cable.
That is important:
There's always a risk that the data could be lost due to an accident such as a fire or theft.
Therefore, systems with cloud storage can offer business owners better peace of mind, especially if they combine cloud and on-site storage.
Additionally, systems with DVR or NVR boxes usually offer a USB port that allows you to connect an extra USB hard or flash drive.
With that said, if cloud support is too expensive or you just don't trust off-site storage named after a condensed mass of water vapor floating in the sky, then there's another solution:
You can connect your extra storage and backup footage to store in an off-site location of your choosing every day, week, or month.
Most of the best security camera systems for small business will feature night vision technology. There are not many security camera systems in general that don't offer this feature today.
However, there are a few exceptions, such as systems that offer bright LED flood lights that are motion activated.
These systems aim to deter criminals from approaching your business and server and allows your system to get a better look at the lowly slimeballs.
A camera system with excellent sound quality is definitely a plus, but shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially for outdoor cameras if you want one of the best security camera systems for small business.
This feature is probably more useful for an indoor camera as you can listen to employee interactions with customers and other employees or just overhear what customers are saying about your business.
Let's face it:
Unless the criminal or criminals are stupid enough to go over their plan just outside your business, while speaking out loud their real names, addresses, and phone numbers, then outdoor audio might not be very useful for some owners.
Then again, if criminals were smarter, they probably wouldn't be in that line of work to begin with, so it's your call.
Video Quality And Resolution
There are no short cuts when it comes to this area.
If you plan to prosecute criminal activity, you probably want to make sure the video quality doesn't make people squint.
Poor video quality may save money now, but it can cost thousands in the long run. Besides that, most 720p or 1080p systems are very affordable.
You really don't need to spend money on 4K unless you absolutely have to. It's not like a jury would fail to convict your thief just because the video doesn't show a freckle clearly enough.
How We Chose The Best Security Camera Systems For Small Business
image source: Pixabay
To find the best security camera systems for small business, we scoured numerous online forums, review sites, YouTube videos, and social media pages and compiled a list of the top offerings.
Then, we selected the top picks based on different features such as portability, video quality, storage, and other attributes.
Our Top 8 Picks For The Best Security Camera Systems For Small Business
Our top picks for the best security camera systems for small business feature a wide variety of systems.
Some systems are wired while others are entirely wireless. On the other hand, some systems use wired DVR boxes while others utilize cloud storage and local microSD cards.
However, all systems are weatherproof, offer motion detection, most offer night vision, and some offer audio.
This Reolink wired video surveillance system features four 1440p super high-definition resolution and night vision capability.
You can record real-time video images with crystal clear clarity and see up to 100 feet in darkness with powerful infrared LEDs. Also, you can add four more additional PoE cameras for a total of eight.
This system also features a convenient DIY plug and play setup for easier installation than many wired systems.
Additionally, it offers 24/7 recording with built-in 2 Terabyte HDD storage. You also have the option of installing an extra USB drive (up to 4 Terabytes).
- 4MP SUPER HD & NIGHT VISION: Record real-time live video with 1440p (4MP) cameras. You can see incredibly bright and crystal images in real color. See up to 100ft in darkness with powerful IR LEDs.
- EASY SETUP: True Plug & Play setup, very easy for you to install, configure and control! Even just a beginner can install it within several minutes. No wiring hassles.
- UNFAILING 24/7 RECORDING: Enjoy reliable 24/7 recording with the built-in 2TB HDD, and you can install an external hard drive (up to 4TB). Support up to 8 cameras recording simultaneously.
- INSTANT ALERTS: Receive real-time alerts, including push notifications to your smartphones, email alerts and the warning sound of the NVR buzzer. Recorded evidences are uploaded to a FTP server.
- WORK WITH REOLINK POE CAMERAS: the 5MP NVR can work with all Reolink PoE 5MP,4MP cameras. A perfect security camera system to manage up to 8 cameras easily.
Receive instant real-time alerts, and this includes push notifications to your smart devices, email alerts, and the warning sound of the NVR buzzer.
You can also send recordings to an FTP cloud server, and you can customize a specific motion detection zone to focus on essential areas, thereby reducing false notifications.
Two-year limited warranty and a 30-day risk-free trial.
The Arlo Pro system is a DIY wireless solution that features night vision technology and video resolution configurable up to 1280 by 720 pixels.
Plus, the cameras are weather resistant, allowing you to put them anywhere either outdoors or indoors.
These cameras also feature rechargeable batteries that support fast charging, and they have built-in two-way audio with a push to talk capability.
Also, the system includes a seven-day cloud storage trial that holds up to seven days worth of recordings in cloud storage. This capability allows you to either live stream or view recorded video with sound.
Alternatively, you can also elect to use a local backup USB hard drive for storage.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- 100 Wire free : Free of power cords and wiring hassles, easily place Arlo Pro cameras wherever you want and monitor your home from every angle
- Night vision: 850 nm LEDs illuminates up to 25 feet, IR cut off filter. Field of view: 130 degree, Focus range (ST) Fixed focus (2 feet to infinity). Video resolution configurable up to 1280 x 720.Weather resistant Arlo Pro cameras are Weather resistant so you can place them anywhere indoors and out
- Rechargeable Batteries : Arlo Pro cameras include rechargeable batteries that support fast charging. Video resolution Configurable up to 1280 x 720
- 2 Way Audio : Built in mic and speaker enable push to talk capability, so you can listen in and talk back
This system works with automation devices such as Amazon Alexa, Fire TV, Echo Show, Samsung Smart Things, Google Assistant and more. Plus, it's IFTTT compatible.
Other features include the ability to customize alerts to detect specific zones, people, and contact emergency responders right from your smart devices' lock screen (optional service with a one-month free trial).
There's also a smart siren feature that sounds a 100 plus decibel siren that you can control remotely or configure to motion or sound.
The system comes with a limited one-year warranty and a 30-day return policy.
The Zmodo Smart Security camera system features compatibility with Amazon Alexa for voice control. The cameras are IP65 weatherproof and work well both indoors and outdoors.
You can also always stay connected to the system using the mobile Zmodo app for iOS and Andriod or via their website. However, the system requires a DIY installation.
You get intelligent motion alerts on your mobile device when it detects movement. And improved motion detection allows you to focus the cameras on the areas you care about.
Additionally, you can play back motion videos on your smart device for the moments you missed.
These cameras also come equipped with IR night vision that includes both infrared lights, and an IR cut that allows the camera to switch to black and white night vision in the dark for better clarity.
On top of that:
- Works with Alexa: Zmodo Wireless Outdoor Camera is compatible with Echo Show for voice control. (Alexa device sold separately). Please check and update your product to the latest device version in order for it to interact with Amazon Alexa.
- Vivid 720p HD, stunning night vision: You can see crystal clear and detailed images with this high resolution security camera system. See what's happening in the dark with 24 automatic infrared lights. Up to 65ft(20m) night vision.
- Always stay connected with timely alerts: Never miss a moment, seamlessly stream video with the mobile Zmodo APP or using your Internet browser at user.zmodo.com. Receive intelligent smartphone alerts when motion is detected.
- IP65 Weatherproof: This weatherproof camera can be placed both indoors and outdoors, with a supported temperature range from -10℃ to 50℃. Protect every inch of your home through every season.
- Zmodo Cloud Service - All users are eligible for a 1-month free cloud of our 7 day cloud recording plan. With the plan, you can review, save, and share footage at any time, and reduce false alerts with cloud intelligence.
You can also adjust the sensitivity of the night vision feature to your liking.
The system includes a free one-month trial subscription to Zmodo Cloud Service, which allows you to save up to seven days of video that you can review and share at any time. It also includes cloud intelligence which works to reduce the number of false alerts.
The system can include four 720p HD cameras that transmit video wirelessly. However, it does require a wired power source.
Includes a two-year warranty with a 60-day refund policy.
The Blink XT Security Wi-Fi HD wireless camera system is weatherproof for both outdoor and indoor use. You can start off small and expand the system up to 10 cameras.
The cameras feature a built-in motion sensor alarm and will send alerts to you on your smart device. Plus, you can record short clips to store in the cloud and stream live video.
Additionally, these cameras come with infrared night vision and temperature sensor technology.
- Keep your Blink XT Protected - Use this Blink xt covers to protect your camera from outdoor impacts such as scratches, dust and smudges. The hood at the front of this blink camera cover can protect your Blink camera from strong glare!
- Low profile and concealment filming - Disguise and camoflauge your blink cam to the background setting with this blink camera outdoor case! This blink xt camera cover is perfect for special ops and low profile filming!
- Easy Installation : This Blink case housing is engineered to be screw-free. Unlike other products that are clumsy and timely costly during installation, you can install this case on your Blink in seconds with ease! Unique opening is designed at the back for easy wire management!
- Mount your blink XT camera securely - Use this Blink camera mount to securely mount your Blink both indoor and outdoor. on the wall or on the ceiling. With the 3 screw hole to bolt on the wall this blink xt mount is the most solid Blink outdoor camera mount ever!
- Full Rotational movement - This Blink rotating camera base is fully adjustable, with 360 degree swivel & 90 degree tilt. This Blink twist mount enables your cam to record at the best angle possible!
Cameras are battery powered, and the batteries last up to two years. The system's DIY installation is straightforward and easy to set up in minutes.
On top of that:
The system includes a mobile app for both iOS and Andriod, and you get free cloud storage with no monthly fees.
Includes a one-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee.
The ZOSI NVR Security Camera System features a 1080p HD-TVI DVR with a one-terabyte security grade hard drive that supports ultra-long continuous recording and backup via USB.
Also, you can set the DVR to automatically overwrite old internally stored footage or transfer those files to another USB memory stick or hard drive.
Plus, this wired system allows you to view video anywhere anytime via internet connection on your mobile device or computer. The system uses analog wires for both power and data transmission to the DVR.
The cameras feature night vision technology with a range up to 120 feet and include automatic IR cut for sharper images day or night.
- 【Easy installation, Plug and play】-- wireless video security system is easy to setup and DIY installation without any video Cables. True plug and play. Connect the NVR and cameras with power supply provided. Connect the mouse to NVR. Connect PC/TV monitor to NVR with a VGA/HDMI cable. Connect the router LAN port to NVR WAN port with network Cable provided. The video will show up.
- 【1080P HD NVR/ 720P waterproof camera】-- Get a sharp and crisp image day or night with the camera's automatic IR-CUT filter. Up to 100ft night vision. Ip 66 weatherproof housing, cameras can be Used indoors and outdoors.
- 【View from anywhere anytime】-- The free App lets you see all of your cameras in one place. Check in on your home or business wherever you have an internet connection. Free app for live view & Playback on smart devices with Wi-Fi or 2G/3G/4G anywhere anytime. Smart phone support: iPhone, Android, iPad. You also can setup the detection zone from your NVR to minimize false alarms.
- 【Customizable advanced motion detection and email alert】-- be notified when there are unexpected movements. Smart notifications with image will be pushed to your smartphone via iPhone/Android app. And you won't miss any moment with remote and local playback.
- 【No include hard drive】-this system does not come with hard drive. Assembling a 3. 5 inch SATA 500GB to 2TB hard Drive is necessary. Dvr can be set to automatically overwrite the oldest internally stored footage or you can transfer those video files by USB to a memory stick or external hard Drive.
Using the free mobile app, you can view live video and play playback recordings. You can also customize motion detection zones and alerts to notify you of any suspicious movements within a particular area.
The system comes with one DVR unit and four 1080p HD cameras that are also 1P67 weatherproof. In addition, you can extend the system to support a maximum of eight cameras.
Has a two-year quality warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee.
You also get lifetime tech support, and if the system stops working within a year, the company will send you a replacement.
The Netatmo Presence outdoor HD camera system uses a smart floodlight that switches on at night to deter trespassers. That makes it look more like a light fixture than a camera.
The system will send alerts to your smart device and includes an app which allows you to stream live video 24/7.
In addition, it comes with free Dropbox cloud or a choice to automatically back up videos on your personal FTP server.
You can also store footage on a local micro SD card, and it offers the highest level of protection with bank-level end-to-end encryption.
But this is the coolest part:
The Netamo Presence has a very smart motion detection feature that can distinguish between people, vehicles, and animals up to 65 feet. For rain or shine functionality, the camera's also weatherproof.
This system can include one or two wireless outdoor cameras.
Include a two-year limited warranty and a 60-day return policy.
The Nest Cam Outdoor security camera system provides a 130-degree wide-angle view that allows you to look after your business 24/7 in 1080p, day and night.
The system works with Amazon Alexa for voice control and can send alerts to your mobile device if the camera's motion detection senses any activity.
The weatherproof camera does require a wired power source but transmits video wirelessly via Wi-Fi. To access the camera's full features, which includes cloud access, you'll need a monthly service subscription.
Cameras feature 4x Optical Zoom, HD 720p or 1080p video quality, Plug and Play, night vision, audio, and is Blue Iris compatible.
There's also this:
This camera's night vision feature has eight infrared LEDs to illuminate the scene evenly.
The camera system is offered in packages that can include one or two outdoor cameras as well as two outdoor cameras and one indoor camera.
Each subscription gives you varying amounts of video history access.
They also offer a 30-day return policy.
This wired Lorex system features an eight channel 45 HD DVR with eight weatherproof bullet security cameras featuring 4K quality video, audio, 1P67 rated weatherproofing, and full-color infrared night vision technology.
The night vision has a range of up to 150 feet, and the system features a single cable connection from the camera to the DVR.
Also, the SmartIR allows for better closeup recognition, and ClearNight technology improves performance in low-light environments.
The DVR contains a two-terabyte security-grade hard drive but also offers support for the Lorex Cloud app which allows you to record and live-stream video, as well as receive push notifications.
- Includes 2TB DV9082 and 8 LBV8721AB 4K Ultra HD Audio Bullet Security
- DVR Digital Video Recorder connect to BNC cameras using RG59 coaxial cables and they compress and store video footage captured from security cameras.
- IP67 weatherproof rating, Built to endure the cold
- 4K video footage and a built-in microphone for listen-in audio (Audio recording is disabled by default.)
- See at night - in color! 150ft Color Night Vision.
Best of all:
Lorex Cloud is included with no monthly fees.
The system further offers dual streaming that saves bandwidth, click-and-drag digital zoom, additional USB backup option, and is backward compatible with standard analog cameras.
Another cool feature is the app's easy-to-read list of motion-triggered actions with video snapshots.
Includes an exclusive two-year warranty and a 60-day return policy.
Here Are The Best Of The Best Security Camera Systems For Small Business
Out of all eight of the systems we reviewed, we found a few that stood out a bit more than the rest. Let's start with the best completely wire-free solution.
The wireless system we recommend is the Arlo Pro system. This one beat out the Blink XT system by just a hair. The main feature that tipped the scale for the Arlo Pro was its audio capability.
However, if this feature isn't that important to you, then either system would serve you well.
For our best-of-the-best wired system, we had a lot of strong candidates that made picking the best difficult.
However, we did settle on the Lorex 4K security camera system as the best wired system.
The Lorex's superior resolution, audio, internal storage, and free cloud storage really made this system pull away from the pack.
Budget price points for the best security camera systems for small business.
The Reolink was our best mid-tier choice, and the Zosi made up our best budget alternative.
We hope you've enjoyed reading about the best security camera systems for small business. May your enterprise stay secure and profitable.
Do you trust your business to a security system that didn't make our list? Tell us about it in the comments!