Unless you have superpowers allowing you omnipresence, or at minimum, omniscience, you'll probably need reliable wireless outdoor security cameras to watch over your home.
According to Safeatlast.co, there are roughly 1.4 million home burglaries per year, which translates to one every 13 seconds.
Even worse, police are said to only solve about 13 percent of those cases due to lack of physical evidence and witnesses. Moreover, it takes a burglar an average of 8 to 12 minutes to get in and out of your home.
Even more shocking, it's estimated that a victim is present at least 30 percent of the time during a burglary. Plus, on average, 7 percent of home burglaries involve violence, with 12 percent of those burglars using a firearm.
In short, installing reliable outdoor security cameras can be a matter of life or death.
What To Expect From The Best Wireless Outdoor Security Cameras?
Image source: pixabay
When trying to find the best wireless outdoor security cameras, it's important to look for a few key things. Here are a few factors involved in finding the right wireless outdoor security cameras for your needs.
Cost And warranties
With most wireless outdoor camera systems you should expect to pay between about $ to $$$ depending on how many cameras and what accessory package you decide to buy.
Warranties for these cameras are typically between one and two years.
A camera is considered wireless if it transmits data wirelessly (usually through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth), which means it can still use a wire for its power source and qualify as a wireless camera.
There are two main power sources for wireless cameras: wired A/C adapters and batteries.
Wire-powered cameras need a power outlet to work, while battery powered cameras are entirely wire-free. However, a significant downside to battery powered cameras is that the cells can run down very quickly.
On the other hand, because of their power requirements, wire-powered cameras are more difficult to install.
With wired A/C adapters, you'll need to connect the camera to either a weatherproof outdoor power outlet or an indoor outlet via a vent, window, or drilled hole opening into your home.
This type of installation may require some professional expertise or additional tools and labor.
However, with battery-powered cameras, installation is usually as simple as mounting the camera and turning it to your local Wi-Fi network.
There are three types of storage for wireless outdoor security cameras: local, cloud-based, and network video recorder (NVR).
Local storage is usually a high-capacity microSD card. However, most cameras now offer cloud-based services that store your recordings off-site via an internet connection.
Some cameras offer local area network storage option via an NVR (often sold separately), which typically hardwires to your router using an ethernet cord.
Video Resolution And Quality
The best wireless outdoor security cameras shouldn't offer anything less than 720p video resolution. But honestly, most cameras today should offer 1080p as the newest standard.
If you're the victim of a crime, you want to have a clear video to help catch the person or people responsible and as evidence in court to convict.
Smart Device Compatibility
Whether it's a smartphone or tablet, you should be able to access the camera via a mobile smart device at all times.
Night vision technology is a must-have for most outdoor security cameras, wired or wireless. The best cameras are going to offer high-definition infrared technology for the sharpest nighttime images.
Never settle for anything with less than IP65 and above weatherproofing certification.
There are a few security issues when it comes to using wireless outdoor security cameras. The biggest problem is hacking.
Since the camera operates on your local Wi-Fi network, there's always a danger that someone could gain access to your system (and every device on your network) via the camera's connection to your router.
Although this problem can be mitigated with a strong password, it's still a vulnerability. Many companies offer solutions such as higher-grade encryption and two-step verification to help with this challenge.
For battery powered units, there's also a chance that the batteries will run out, and with wire-powered units, the camera may stop working if the power line is damaged or unplugged.
Wireless outdoor security cameras that rely on your Wi-Fi connection may face issues due to factors such as obstructions and distance from the router. If the wireless signal is too weak, the camera may not operate properly.
Sometimes the purchase of additional signal boosting equipment may be necessary for a camera's Wi-Fi signal to reach the router on a large property.
You may also consider replacing the antennas on your camera and router with better quality, higher-powered aftermarket antennas.
Some extra features that are nice to have on a wireless outdoor security camera include:
How We Found The Best Wireless Outdoor Security Cameras
Image source: pixabay
Our discovery process for finding only the best wireless outdoor security cameras involved searching dozens of internet forums, websites, social media pages, and videos for customer suggestions.
We then took those suggestions and measured them against average user ratings and critic scores from multiple sources.
From there we picked only the best wireless outdoor security cameras with the highest satisfaction ratings.
8 Best Wireless Outdoor Security Cameras
Image source: unsplash
Here's our list of the top eight wireless outdoor security cameras in no particular order. Each camera has basic features like night vision and weatherproofing.
However, some cameras are battery operated while others require an A/C adapter plugin.
1. Blink XT Camera System
- WEATHERPROOF FOR OUTDOOR OR INDOOR USE: Place and move your wireless Blink camera anywhere around your home both inside and out. Start off with a small system and expand to up to 10 cameras on one Blink Sync Module.
- MOTION DETECTOR: Built-in motion sensor alarm. When motion detector is triggered, Wi-Fi cameras will send an alert to your smartphone and record a short clip of the event to the cloud.
- BATTERY POWERED SECURITY SYSTEM: Wireless home camera with 2-year battery life, powered by 2 Lithium AA 1.5v non-rechargeable Lithium batteries (included), data is sent from IP cameras over Wi-Fi.
- SMART HOME CAMERA SECURITY SYSTEM WITH HD VIDEO: Simple self-install home monitoring in minutes. Easy to control wireless cameras with the free iOS & Android apps or through Alexa-enabled devices such as an Echo.
- FREE CLOUD STORAGE: No monthly fees or service contract required. Requires iOS 10.3 or Android 5 Lollipop or higher.
The Blink XT is one of the best wireless outdoor security cameras on the market. This camera's weatherproof design can withstand some of the harshest outdoor conditions. It has a built-in motion sensor alarm, temperature sensing technology, and infrared night vision.
The Blink XT One will also send alerts via Wi-Fi to your smart device, and you can even record short clips to store in the cloud or stream live video.
Even better, the cameras are powered by batteries that can last up to two years. Installing the system is super easy and set up only takes a few minutes.
Additionally, the system includes a mobile app for both Android and iOS. Plus, they throw in free cloud storage with no monthly fees. The system is also expandable to support up to 10 cameras.
Blink XT wireless outdoor security cameras have an excellent reputation for being easy to install.
Here's a video to show you.
Most customers gave this camera system positive reviews.
For example, one Best Buy customer. He said it was a great starter system for someone who needed bare minimum security without the fuss of any wires. Plus, he and many other customers loved the free cloud storage feature.
That said, battery life seems to be one of the biggest complaints about this camera. An Amazon customer said that his cameras chewed threw batteries at a fast rate. However, we should note that the Best Buy customer addressed this issue as well.
He said that the cameras require more expensive AA lithium batteries as opposed to regular alkaline batteries and that they last longer in low-traffic areas or when used during times of lower traffic.
Furthermore, this includes a 1-year limited warranty and 30-day money back guarantee.
2. Reolink Argus Pro
- Wireless DIY Installation - The Argus Pro can be easily mounted and installed both indoors and outdoors, eliminating the need for professional help. With an IP65 weatherproof certification, Reolink Argus Pro has proven its durability against harsh weather, like heavy rain and extreme sun.
- Rechargeable Battery-Powered - With micro USB port and rechargeable battery, Argus Pro can be standalone for up to 4-6 Months, or charged by a universal 5V 2A power adapter or by the Reolink Solar Panel to get continuous power supply. (Power adapters and Reolink Solar Panels are sold separately).
- Full HD Video Display with Starlight Night Vision - Equipped with 1920×1080 resolution, the Argus Pro captures smooth, crystal-clear videos. Advanced image sensors installed in this outdoor security camera, which provides you with clearer night-vision footage for up to 33ft.
- Instant Playback for Local or Cloud Storage - The Argus Pro allow users to add microSD cards up to 64GB of space to their wireless security camera. Save motion triggered videos to your SD card and Reolink Cloud swiftly. Recorded videos can be replayed via the Reolink app and client, without any additional subscription fees.
- Standalone Setup and Operation - Users can install and operate Argus Pro by directly connecting to a 2.4G wireless router. This eliminates the need for a security base station. Comprehensive voice instructions for setting up the security camera are available on the Reolink app.
The Reolink Argus Pro line of wireless outdoor security cameras are 100 percent wire-free with a handy rechargeable battery feature.
The system works over a 2.4-gigahertz Wi-Fi connection and it works anywhere indoors or outdoors with its IP65 certified weatherproof design.
The camera features full 1080p high-definition video, a smart PIR motion sensor, and up to 33 feet of night vision coverage. The Argus Pro also has two-way audio that allows you to listen and talk through the camera. You can even use the fast wake-up feature to view live video.
When it comes to motion detection, it gives you the option of using a micro SD card (up to 64 gigabytes) for local storage. It also features two-way audio, which allows you to communicate with the person on the other side of the camera.
The Camera gives you a 130-degree wide viewing angle to cover more area, and you'll get intelligent alerts such as push notifications, emails, and even siren alerts in real time.
Best of all, you can connect the Reolink Solar Panel for virtually unlimited power to your camera.
Blink XT wireless outdoor security cameras have an excellent reputation for being easy to install. Here's a video to show you.
One customer described the camera as easy to install and use. He also praised the camera's video quality and long battery life.
On the other hand, the same customer did point out that as a peer-to-peer (P2P) camera it does have some inherent security concerns other cameras don't have, which could make them hacking risks.
However, he did note that setting a strong password goes a long way to making them safer (although not entirely hackproof).
Besides that, it comes with a 2-year limited warranty and a 30-day full refund return policy.
3. Arlo Pro 2
- 100 percent wire free: Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD high quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible powering options use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
- Weatherproof Pro cameras are weatherproof so you can place them anywhere indoors and out
- 7 days of free cloud recordings pro comes with recurring 7 days free cloud recordings. Live stream or view recorded video and audio for up to 7 days
One of the highest recommended wireless outdoor security cameras is the Arlo Pro 2 camera. It features full 1080p video, offering more significant detail. Additionally, it has advanced sound and motion detection as well as notifications that you can get via email or your smart device.
The Arlo Pro 2 can be used both indoors and outdoors due to its IP65-certified weatherproof design. However, there are several advanced features you can only use indoors while the camera is plugged into a power outlet.
Set activity zones to highlight areas in your camera's view for which you want to activate motion and sound alerts. You can even upgrade your service to include 24/7 cloud recording. Finally, three-second look back allows you to capture activity three seconds before a triggered event.
The Arlo Pro 2 has flexible power options allowing you to plug it into an indoor or outdoor power source. Or, you can take advantage of its long-lasting rechargeable battery which saves on costs.
It also comes equipped with night vision technology, and the smart security scan feature allows you to trigger recording by motion or sounds.
Best of all, you can listen and talk back thanks to its two-way audio feature, and when it comes to storage, the Arlo Pro 2 gives you several options.
The camera comes with a free basic cloud service plan that allows you to keep the past seven days of motion and sound-triggered recordings (for up to five cameras). Plus, you can connect a USB drive to the Arlo Pro 2 base station for optional backup storage.
Not to mention, the Arlo Pro 2 plays well with automation services such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Stringify.
Installation of Arlo 2 Pro wireless outdoor security cameras is pretty straightforward. Here is a helpful video to give you an idea of how the process works.
Many customers enjoyed the ease of setup. They said the camera along with cloud service was up and running within minutes. The mobile app and website also received high marks.
On the other hand, some customers complained of poor customer service and random "offline" issues with the cameras.
These wireless outdoor security cameras come with a one-year limited warranty.
4. Ezviz C3W
- ✔ ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY - FullHD 1080p Video, Alarm System, Two-Way Audio, and Motion Detection all packed into a weatherproof and modern design. Everything controlled through a single APP.
- ✔ ACTIVE DEFENSE - Remote Activated Alarm System includes loud siren and bright LED strobe to ward off unwanted visitors. Don't just monitor your home, give yourself the tools to defend it.
- ✔ TWO-WAY-AUDIO - Microphone range up to 15ft and waterproof high decibel speakers allow you to talk to whoever is on the other end. Or activate the alarm if you are unable to speak.
- ✔ BUILT TO LAST - Weatherproof IP66 housing allows functionality in any natural environment. Hard wired power and on-board recording provide additional safeguards in case internet becomes unavailable.
- ✔ FULL HD 1080P WDR - ezGuard is also enhanced with WDR technology to provide you with the clearest video feed in any lighting condition, day or night.
EZVIZ C3W wireless outdoor security cameras offer 1080p full high-definition video resolution along with motion detection, two-way audio, and an alarm system all packed in a modern IP66-certified (ezGuard) design. Plus, you can control everything through a single app.
With Active defense, you have a remote activated alarm system that includes a bright LED strobe and a loud siren to ward off unwanted visitors.
EZVIZ C3W's 2-way audio includes a microphone with a range of up to 15 feet and waterproof high decibel speakers that allow you to come across clearly to whoever's on the other side of the camera. Or, you can trigger a sound alarm if you're unable to speak.
The cameras use a hard-wire power source and provide onboard recording ensuring additional safeguards in case the internet becomes unavailable.
You have your choice of multiple storage options such as microSD (up to 128-gigabytes), encrypted cloud storage (subscription sold separately), or EZVIZ wireless NVR (sold separately).
The installation for the EZVIZ C3W wireless outdoor security cameras is a bit more involved than with battery-powered cameras. Here's an installation video showing how it's done.
For instance, one Walmart.com customer gave the camera five stars and spoke highly of its weatherproof design, easy installation, Wi-Fi transmission signal, and video quality.
Even so, a customer on Amazon complained that the app was hard to use and would frequently crash on his mobile device.
The camera also includes a one-year limited warranty.
5. Logitech Circle 2
- CIRCLE 2 WIRED is an easy to install, Wi-Fi connected home security camera that records when motion is detected and stores the footage in your secure, private cloud and works with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit and The Google Assistant
- DON’T JUST TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT, we’re Wirecutter's pick: “Best Wi-Fi camera for daily use”, Gizmodo said we’re “The Best Security Camera for Most People” and Business Insider says: “Circle 2 is the best security camera you can buy for your home”
- FULL HD WIDE-ANGLE VIDEO WITH NIGHT VISION lets you capture the really big picture with 180-degree wide-angle lens, full 1080p HD video day or night, with night vision that’s visible up to 15-feet
- FREE 24-HOUR SECURE CLOUD STORAGE - Stores motion based videos up to 24-hours in your own private cloud for free, secured using bank level encryption.Fully encrypted with TLS / AES / HTTPS
- FREE SMART ALERTS WITH SNAPSHOTS - Get mobile app notifications with a thumbnail image of the motion detected, to "see" what's happening at home without opening the app
Logitech's line of Circle 2 weatherproof wireless outdoor security cameras offers you a choice between battery and wire powered units.
The battery-powered cameras have rechargeable batteries and USB charging, while the wired cameras use a USB power adapter. However, both cameras are nearly identical in terms of features.
For instance, both cameras have a 180-degree expansive field-of-view glass lens with up to 1080p video HD video resolution. They are Wi-Fi 2.4 and 5-gigahertz compatible. Plus, they offer multi-camera support.
Also, they both include motion detection, auto night vision up to 15 feet, digital zoom, and adjustable tilt and pan features.
Both models have two-way audio, allowing you to communicate with those on the other end, and they are fully encrypted with TLS/AES/HTTPS.
You also get a free app and web browser access that allows you to monitor remotely from any smart device, as well as smart alerts that you can set to your audio and motion zones.
Circle 2 integrates well with many home-automation devices such as Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, and Logitech POP.
The camera also includes free one-day cloud storage. However, you can upgrade to a paid basic subscription plan that records for up to 14 days or their premium plan that saves recordings for up to 31 days.
Installation of Circle 2 outdoor wireless security cameras depends on the camera's power type. For battery-powered cameras, installation is going to be a lot easier than with the wire-powered versions.
Here's an installation video for the wired power model.
A Lowes customer was impressed by the stylish design and view from the Circle 2's wide 180-degree lens. He also remarked on the camera's excellent video clarity during both day and night time filming.
Logitech offers a one-year limited hardware warranty.
6. Ring Spotlight Cam
- Connect your Ring camera with Alexa then enable announcements to be alerted when motion is detected. Talk to visitors through compatible Echo devices by saying “Alexa, talk to the front door”.
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Powered by the quick-release rechargeable battery pack.
- With a Ring Protect Plan (subscription sold separately), record all your videos, review what you missed for up to 60 days, and share videos and photos.
- Monitors your home in 1080HD video with infrared night vision and Live View
Another line of wireless outdoor security cameras that allows you to choose between wired and battery-powered units is the Ring Spotline line. Better yet, you can convert either camera into a solar-powered unit using an additional solar panel accessory (sold separately).
The Ring Spotlight camera has a weatherproof design that monitors your home with 1080p video resolution with a 140-degree field of view over any 2.4-gigahertz Wi-Fi network.
The battery-powered units have a quick-release replacement feature that allows you to swap batteries without hassle. And when it comes to battery life, Ring says your camera's battery should last between 6 and 12 months, depending on the number of motion events. The camera will alert you when its battery is running low.
Both models also include built-in LED lights and a 110-decibel siren alarm. They're also motion activated, have two-way audio, and work with Amazon Alexa to launch real-time video.
Plus, you can receive alerts on your mobile device or computer as soon as motion is detected. Finally, the cameras feature two-way audio with noise cancellation.
Ring Spotlight cameras include a 30-day free trial of Ring's cloud storage service.
Ring Spotlight's installation process depends on the version you purchase. Here is an installation video for the wire-powered model.
With the wired model, one Amazon customer praised this model's easy installation, motion capture settings, and cloud storage playback feature. Customers who bought the battery powered version appreciate not dealing with any wires, which made setup much more manageable.
At the same time, one customer complained about inconsistent Wi-Fi connections for the wired version. Meanwhile, other customers mainly complained about short battery life for the battery-powered version.
Best of all, Ring offers lifetime theft protection; they will replace your camera if it's ever stolen at no additional cost.
7. Kasa Cam Outdoor
- Protect your outdoors - Use crisp 2-way audio to communicate with the delivery person at your front door or use the siren to scare away intruders. With motion and sound detection, the Kasa Smart app alerts you of activity of any kind
- Crystal clear video – Sharp and clear, wide-angle 1080P video makes sure you never miss a thing. Manually zoom in to get a closer look to what's going on, day or night. See something or someone suspicious, just zoom in and get a better view
- Easy DiyiInstall – Get the best angle and video with your Kasa cam outdoor with an easy to follow installation process in the Kasa Smart app. The magnetic camera mount and mounting wall plate make for a quick set-up and allows you to configure your camera for the best view
- Instant notifications – Get instant alerts straight to your smartphone whenever your Kasa cam outdoor detects any sound or motion. Control what alerts you receive by setting customizable activity zones around areas that are important to you. Set zones for areas that matter most like your front door, driveway, back porch, or the side of your home. System requirements: iOS 10+, Android 4.4x+
- Cloud storage: Rolling 12-hour video history for two years free
Kasa wireless outdoor security cameras feature a full-weatherproof IP65-certified design along with wide-angle 1080p video resolution and night vision.
This camera has a two-way radio for communication and an alarm siren that you can set off remotely or automatically. Plus, you can watch from anywhere via streaming or record video on the Kasa smart app.
The camera is also compatible with automation devices such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. Receive instant notifications on your smart device with the camera's motion and sound detection technology.
You can even set up to four custom activity zones, for no extra charge, to keep an eye on areas most important to you.
Better yet, you can get cloud storage with access to up to two days of streaming videos with no additional charge. Or, you can upgrade to one of the tiered Kasa Care subscription plans.
With Kasa wireless outdoor security cameras, installation is as quick and easy. The camera comes with a wired A/C power adapter that will require a weatherproof outlet for outdoor use or access to an indoor plug.
Here's a video to that walks you through the installation process.
One customer said that his Kasa camera provided superior night vision resolution and better free cloud service than a competing brand.
Meanwhile, another customer complained that the camera detects ambient light changes such as the sun going down behind a cloud or a light turning off or on as motion.
The cameras also come with a two-year limited warranty.
8. Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
- Outdoor Wi-Fi camera 2-pack for home security with 24/7 live video
- High definition surveillance camera with a 130 degree wide angle view, 1080p HD, and 8x zoom; Night vision illuminates the whole scene, even when it’s dark outside
- Looks for motion and sound activity and sends an alert to your phone or email1:
- Control your home security camera from anywhere with the app on your phone
- Built in speaker and microphone lets you listen and talk back to visitors
Nest Cam wireless outdoor security cameras often rank at or near the top of the list for best home security cameras. The Nest IQ continues in this tradition with features such as it's IP66-certified weather-proof and tamper-resistant design.
Its detection technology can detect a person up to 50 feet away, and send an alert to your smart device to let you see who's there.
But wait, it gets better. It can even recognize familiar faces.
The Nest IQ Cam also has Supersight, which is a 4K sensor with intelligent imaging and High Definition Recording (HDR) technology, that provides close-up tracking, 12-times digital zoom and enhance, and daytime HDR.
Furthermore, with daytime HDR the camera can produce clear images under even the most challenging lighting conditions. So now, images won't get lost in the shadows or blown out.
It also has a powerful built-in speaker and microphone allowing for two-way communication with noise and echo suppression technology. Plus, its high-powered infrared LEDs offer clear and crisp night vision resolution.
The camera comes with a locked mount that hides the power cord to prevent tampering. You'll also have access to the Nest app that allows you to see snapshots from the last three hours of activity on a smart device anytime anywhere.
You have the option record up to 30 days of video 24/7 in the cloud with a Nest Aware subscription plan. Your camera's Wi-Fi connection is protected thanks to AES 128-bit encryption and two-step verification safeguards.
Nest IQ wireless outdoor security cameras do require a wired power source which can make installation a bit more tricky.
However, we've included this installation video that should give you a better idea about the process.
One customer shared how the camera helped catch and prosecute a thief who stole a Christmas package from his driveway, allowing him to identify the license plate on the vehicle.
Nest offers a limited two-year warranty on its cameras.
For our recommendations, we picked two models based on their power type.
Our recommendation for the best battery powered camera is the Arlo Pro 2 due to its solid performance, excellent picture quality, and better than average battery life.
We recommend the Nest Cam IQ as the best wire-powered wireless outdoor security camera due to its outstanding resolution and ability to recognize familiar faces.
Plus, Nest Cam IQ's two-year warranty was a nice touch as well.We hope you've found this information on the best wireless outdoor security cameras helpful.
Please remember to stay safe by staying vigilant about safety. And if you have any thoughts on these or any other cameras, please share them in the comments below.
Last update on 2021-01-21 at 16:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API